Pediatric preventative services in Wheat Ridge
The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry identifies Tooth decay as a disease; which means that it is a preventable condition. The number one tool that we recognize at our office is that having the right information at the right time can significantly improve our patient’s chances of having a healthy mouth. Therefore, we spend a significant amount of the visit giving parents useful and practical preventative information. Together with our office, you and your family can become cavity free.
The outer layer of a tooth structure is made up of Calcium and Phosphate, and the breakdown process of these components is referred to as decay. Fluoride-works by attracting Calcium and Phosphate back to the softened tooth structure.
- Fluoride is the most economical way for the health community to help your children prevent cavities.
- Fluorides main mechanism is to help neutralize acid in the mouth and harden the teeth.
- At every cleaning and exam, we provide a professional dose of fluoride varnish to our patients. So if your child has had a recent application of fluoride treatment at the doctor’s office or at their school, please let us know so we don’t provide the treatment again.
We know that there is a lot of conflicting information about fluoride, so to help answer all misconceptions we have compiled a post that provides more in-depth information on: Everything you need to know about fluoride.
- MI paste is the pure form of Calcium and Phosphate and is a more expensive solution.
- We recommend MI paste for high-risk patients or parents that are nervous about Fluoride.
Written By: Dr. Ngo
We also have a detailed post on Silver Diamine Fluoride.