Pediatric preventative services in Wheat Ridge
The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry identifies Tooth decay as a disease; which means that it is a preventable condition. The number one tool that we recognize at our office is that having the right information at the right time can significantly improve our patient’s chances of having a healthy mouth. Therefore, we spend a significant amount of the visit giving parents useful and practical preventative information. Together with our office, you and your family can become cavity free.
Summary of preventative recommendations:
Recommendation for EVERYONE:
- Fluoride every 6 months
- X-rays and cleaning every 6 months
- Exam every 6 months
Recommendation for kids with BRACES:
- Stance rinse if gum is inflamed
- Just Right or Clinpro 5000 tooth paste
- Povi-one ( high plaque formation)
Inflamed or BLEEDING GUM:
- Stance Rinse
- Povi-one for high plaque formation
Frequent formation of carries (new cavities every year)
- Just Right or Clipro5000 tooth paste
Incipient (beginning) decay on adult teeth and selected baby teeth
- Silver Diamine Flouride
The outer layer of a tooth structure is made up of Calcium and Phosphate, and the breakdown process of these components is referred to as decay. Fluoride-works by attracting Calcium and Phosphate back to the softened tooth structure.
- Fluoride is the most economical way for the health community to help your children prevent cavities.
- Fluorides main mechanism is to help neutralize acid in the mouth and harden the teeth.
- At every cleaning and exam, we provide a professional dose of fluoride varnish to our patients. So if your child has had a recent application of fluoride treatment at the doctor’s office or at their school, please let us know so we don’t provide the treatment again.
We know that there is a lot of conflicting information about fluoride, so to help answer all misconceptions we have compiled a post that provides more in-depth information on: Everything you need to know about fluoride.
MI Paste, a booster to strengthen weakened enamel:
MI Paste, also known as Recaldent or Tooth Mousse, is a dental product that’s often recommended by dental professionals to help improve tooth health. It’s particularly useful for people with early signs of tooth sensitivity, enamel erosion, or dry mouth. Here’s how it works in more adult terms:
MI Paste contains a special ingredient called Recaldent, which is derived from milk proteins. This ingredient has a remarkable ability to provide calcium and phosphate to your teeth. These minerals are essential building blocks for tooth enamel—the protective outer layer of your teeth. When your enamel starts to weaken due to factors like acid erosion from foods and drinks, your teeth become more sensitive and prone to cavities.
When you apply MI Paste to your teeth, it releases calcium and phosphate ions directly onto the tooth surfaces. These ions can actually remineralize your teeth, helping to repair and strengthen weakened enamel. It’s like giving your teeth the essential nutrients they need to repair themselves naturally.
But that’s not all. MI Paste also creates a protective shield on your teeth. This shield can help to reduce sensitivity by blocking the tiny channels that connect the surface of your teeth to the nerves inside. So, if you’ve been struggling with sensitive teeth, MI Paste can provide relief by soothing those nerve signals.
To use MI Paste, you usually apply a small amount to your teeth and let it sit for a while. Some people use it before bed so that the minerals have time to work overnight. It’s a non-invasive way to give your teeth a bit of extra care and attention.
In summary, MI Paste is a dental product that uses Recaldent, derived from milk proteins, to deliver calcium and phosphate to your teeth. This helps to strengthen weakened enamel and reduce sensitivity. By applying it regularly, you’re giving your teeth a chance to recover and remain healthy. At Kid Focus Dentistry this is the number one product recommend for parents with children with fluoride sensitivity.
Povi-one, the game changer:
Povi-one is the only FDA approved oral iodine formula that is currently on the market. Iodine is a widely used antiseptic product in medicine but also proven to kills bacteria associated with cavities. Monthly used of Povi-one helps limit bad bacteria from forming in the mouth and more importantly, stick to tooth surfaces. Both of these actions drastically reduced the risk of cavities in the mouth.
Povi-One is a dose-controlled, flow-through, and unit-dose applicator makes at home application simple and regulates the dose.
Recommendation of uses for Povi-one are:
- Frequent formation of carries( new cavities every year)
- Inflamed or bleeding gum
- Poor OH due to braces
- Constant bad breath
- Recent used of general anesthesia to do dental work
With these many uses and effectiveness of Povi-one, Kid Focus Dentistry is excited to incorporate this product in our preventative recommendation.
The Just Right 5000 difference:
Just Right 5000 is not your average toothpaste! With a stronger fluoride concentration, it help give a boost of protection for those who are more vulnerable to getting cavities.
- Personalized Formulation: Just Right 5000 is a toothpaste that adapts to your specific dental needs. Once our dentists analyzed your child needs and recommend the product. Just right 5000 will dispense just the right amount of special formulated tooth paste that will keep your child safe and significantly improve their teeth defends against cavities.
- Fluoride Concentration: Just Right 5000 contains 5000 ppm (parts per million) fluoride concentration, significantly higher than the standard toothpaste. This higher fluoride level is particularly beneficial for individuals with a higher risk of tooth decay or those who have had dental procedures like orthodontic work.
- Enhanced Efficacy: Elevate Oral Care’s Just Right 5000 is designed for maximum effectiveness. It not only strengthens enamel but also provides superior protection against cavities, sensitivity, and gum problems. This makes it a versatile solution for various dental concerns.
- Reduced Environmental Impact: Elevate Oral Care is also committed to sustainability. The Just Right 5000 packaging is eco-friendly, reflecting their dedication to reducing their environmental footprint.
Elevate Oral Care’s Just Right 5000 represents a transformative step in the world of oral care. By offering a personalized approach that caters to individual needs, this toothpaste revolutionizes how we think about dental hygiene. It’s not just about brushing your teeth; it’s about brushing them with precision and purpose, ensuring you get the right care for your unique smile.
If you’re looking to elevate your oral care routine and take control of your dental health, Just Right 5000 by Elevate Oral Care may be the answer. Consult with our dentists at Kid Focus Dentistry to explore the benefits of this innovative product and experience a truly personalized approach to oral hygiene. Your smile will thank you for it.
Clinpro 500—take your toothpaste to the next level:
Clinpro 5000 is a prescription-strength toothpaste developed by 3M ESPE, a company known for its dental products. It’s often used in clinical settings and recommended by dentists for specific dental concerns. The “5000” in its name refers to its high fluoride content, which is significantly higher than what you’d find in regular over-the-counter toothpaste.
Here’s how Clinpro 5000 works:
- High Fluoride Content: The standout feature of Clinpro 5000 is its high fluoride concentration. Fluoride is a mineral that helps strengthen tooth enamel and makes it more resistant to acid attacks from bacteria and food. In Clinpro 5000, the higher fluoride concentration (usually around 5000 parts per million) allows for enhanced enamel remineralization, making it particularly effective for individuals at risk of dental decay or those with certain dental conditions.
- Remineralization: When you eat or drink, the bacteria in your mouth produce acids that can weaken your tooth enamel in a process called demineralization. Clinpro 5000 uses its high fluoride content to promote remineralization, which means it helps to rebuild weakened enamel by depositing minerals like calcium and phosphate back into the tooth structure. This helps repair early signs of tooth decay and strengthens your teeth.
- Protection Against Decay: The elevated fluoride levels in Clinpro 5000 offer a layer of protection against cavities. The fluoride helps to make the enamel more resistant to acid erosion, creating a stronger defense against bacteria and the damaging effects of sugary and acidic foods.
- Professional Recommendation: Clinpro 5000 is usually prescribed by a dentist. Dentists recommend it for patients with specific needs, such as those with a high risk of cavities, orthodontic appliances (braces), dry mouth, or other dental conditions. It’s often part of a comprehensive treatment plan to address and prevent tooth decay.
- Proper Usage: Like other toothpaste, Clinpro 5000 should be used as part of a regular oral hygiene routine. Apply a small amount to your toothbrush and brush your teeth for about two minutes, making sure to cover all surfaces. Spit out the excess, but don’t rinse your mouth immediately afterward, as this allows the fluoride to stay in contact with your teeth longer for maximum benefit.
It’s important to note that Clinpro 5000 is a prescription product and should only be used under the guidance of a dental professional. Our dentists at Kid Focus Dentistry will determine if Clinpro 5000 is suitable for your dental needs and provide instructions on its proper use.
Stance Rinse—the daily protector against gum dieses and cavities
Stance Rinse from Elevate Oral Care is an advanced oral hygiene product designed to support comprehensive oral health. It operates as an antiseptic mouthwash with a multifaceted approach to maintaining a balanced oral environment.
The primary function of Stance Rinse lies in its ability to combat the microbial activity within the oral cavity. This is achieved through a combination of active ingredients, which often include antimicrobial agents such as cetylpyridinium chloride (CPC). These agents work to suppress the growth of harmful bacteria that contribute to issues like bad breath, gingivitis, and periodontal disease.
The rinse’s effectiveness is further enhanced by its capacity to reduce plaque accumulation. Plaque is a sticky film of bacteria that can lead to the formation of tartar and dental decay if not properly managed. Stance Rinse disrupts the biofilm matrix of plaque, making it easier to remove through regular brushing and flossing.
Beyond its antimicrobial properties, Stance Rinse typically contains fluoride, a mineral renowned for its remineralization capabilities. Fluoride helps strengthen tooth enamel and can reverse the early stages of tooth decay, a process known as remineralization. This is particularly beneficial for individuals who are at risk of developing cavities.
Using Stance Rinse is straightforward. After brushing and flossing your teeth, you swish a measured amount of the rinse in your mouth for a specified duration, usually about 30 seconds. During this time, the active ingredients work to target bacteria, reduce plaque, and fortify enamel. After swishing, you spit out the rinse.
In essence, Stance Rinse functions as a comprehensive mouthwash that goes beyond simple breath freshening. Its combined effects—controlling bacterial populations, combating plaque, and reinforcing enamel—make it a valuable addition to a thorough oral hygiene routine. It’s particularly useful for individuals seeking to address or prevent issues like gum disease and cavities, contributing to their overall oral health and wellbeing. However, it’s important to follow the manufacturer’s instructions and talk with us at your Kid Focus Dentistry dental visit to see if your child can start incorporating this new product into their oral care regimen.
Written By: Dr. Ngo
We also have a detailed post on Silver Diamine Fluoride.