Although some children do better without parents being present during treatment, we are open to having you stay with your child. If you choose to be present, we suggest the following guidelines to improve chances of a positive outcome:
1. Allow us to prepare your child
2. Be supportive of the practice’s terminology
3. Please be a silent observer, support your child with touches
- This allows us to maintain communication with your child
- Children will normally listen to their parents instead of us and may not hear our guidance
- You might give incorrect or misleading information
4.If asked to leave, be ready to immediately walk away
- Many children will try to control the situation
- “Acting out” is normal, but unacceptable during fillings
- This is intended to “short circuit” the control attempt
- We will continue to support your child at all times
These are very important ways that you can actively help in the success of your child’s visit.
We are confident that all will go well and hope these guidelines will give you confidence for the upcoming appointment.
Written By: Dr. Ngo