Laser Post-Treatment Instructions in Wheat Ridge
Post-Op Instructions For Laser Surgery
The use of Laser for soft tissue surgery is a very safe and predictable form of treatment. It allows us to do surgery with the result of minimal bleeding and swelling; thus post-operative pain is significantly reduced. However, we want to give you some tips to help the healing process to be as comfortable as possible:
- Please give your child a dose of Motrin or Tylenol following the procedure. This will help with any discomfort and minimize any swelling.
- Your child can eat and drink, but avoid spicy, sour, or hot food for 10 days.
- Rinse well with water after eating and drinking to keep the area clean.
- To help facilitate healing; we give patients a small container of coconut oil to take home. Please apply the oil on the area of surgery before meals 3x a day for 10 days. Rub the oil onto the area, and the lip or tongue will melt it.
- Please be aware that we did numb the tongue or lip area, although in very small dose, please monitor that your child does not chew on his/her tongue or lip.
Please watch the video below and practice the exercises that we have instructed for you and your child.
- 1. Help your kiddo lift the tongue up to the roof of the mouth. (the spot) Use the stick we gave you and maybe something sweet to help them get into the habit of putting the tongue up there. ( Do this for at least the first two days )
- 2. Tongue stretch ( 10 times for 3 sets (30 pushes total ) or before eating 5xs a day: for 10 days
- 3. Have the guardian do two manual stretches after brushing every morning and night: for 10 days
- In order to avoid a re-release, these exercises are mandatory. Please refer to the video titled “Post-Tongue tie release information” for the exercises.
- FOR TONGUE TIE: After the Doctor’s approval, please have your child start the tongue exercise (Myobrace group 1) to help your child re-learn correct tongue placement. It is best that your child does the exercise with a mirror and help of a parent. Keep in mind, due to the previous tongue tie, your child’s tongue has never done these movements before! So be patient and consistent with these exercises.
***If you have a hard time with the exercises; we do offer myofunctional therapy at our office. Give us a call if you want to schedule an appointment. (303-543-8338)
Today, we used laser to perform a soft tissue surgery today on your kiddo. Since the healing process is easier and faster than traditional surgery, it is very easy to forget to do the recommended exercises. It is MANDATORY to do these exercises for the first 10 days. This will help minimize scarring and re-attachment, thus lower the chance of additional surgery.
Lip-tie release (labial frenulectomy): Please apply the coconut oil on site with outward strokes (4-5) 3 times a day.
Tongue-tie release (lingual frenulectomy): Make sure you do the recommended exercises for 10 days. Then following the exercise, apply coconut oil to the surgery site with upward strokes (4-5). After the 10 days of healing, please do the Myobrace Basic Exercises. Keep in mind that you should have received the videos for these post-op exercises by text. ( Or refer to the video below)
We do recommend a dose of Motrin or Tylenol to help minimize any discomfort that patient might experience.
If you have any question or didn’t receive the videos, please don’t hesitate to call 303-543-8338
Written By: Dr. Ngo
Below are pictures of what the healing process is supposed to look like. Please keep the area clean by having your child rinse his/her mouth with water after eating.
Laser Frenectomy Healing Process